Commencement Celebrating the Class of 2023!
Thursday, May 11, 2023, at 7:00 p.m.
Park Arena – Alpena Community College Main Campus
Who Can Participate
The ceremony will include Summer and Fall 2022 graduates as well as those who will complete their graduation requirements in May 2023. Students must have a graduation application on file. All qualified graduates are encouraged to participate.
When/Where to Arrive
Graduates will gather at the BTC Commons at 6:00 pm. This is where you will pick up your name cards and line up for the processional. ACC staff and student ushers will be available to assist with lining up for the processional. Commencement begins promptly at 7:00 pm in the Park Arena. Hang onto your name cards – you will present the card to the readers during the ceremony so they can announce your name as you walk across the stage.
Graduates will wear caps and gowns which are available for purchase at the Bookstore. For cap & gown questions, please call 989.358.7259.
Honor candidates will wear honor cords. Honor Society stoles and medallions may also be worn. Honor cords, Phi Theta Kappa stoles, and Sigma Zeta medallions will be handed out at the Honors Breakfast or prior to the beginning of the ceremony. Honors Breakfast invitations will be mailed separately to eligible students.
Ordering information for graduation announcements is available at the Bookstore.
Guest seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis. All guests should be seated by 6:50 p.m. There will be handicapped-accessible seating available. Ushers will be present to direct those individuals/families to the seating areas.
Sign Language Interpreter
If you or your guest(s) need a sign language interpreter, contact us at the number below.
A reception for graduates and their guests will be held following the ceremony at the Besser Museum of Northeast Michigan, 491 Johnson Street, Alpena. Recommended parking – ACC student parking lot.
Contact the Registrar’s Office: Call 989.358.7353 or email email@example.com
Each student who wishes to receive an Associate Degree or Certificate must apply for graduation at the beginning of the semester in which the requirements for graduation will be completed. Students can submit an application for graduation online via Self-Service or download the application for graduation and submit it to the Registrar's Office at the beginning of the semester in which the requirements for graduation will be completed.
- ONLINE Application for Graduation via Self-Service
- Log-In to Self-Service
- Select 'Graduation Overview' from the main menu, or from the Academics tab on the left-hand navigation bar
- Download Application for Graduation - submit to Registrar's Office, 108 Van Lare Hall
Graduation with a Degree
The requirements for the Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, Associate in General Studies, and Associate in Applied Science degrees consist of general education courses and electives. Each student must satisfactorily complete:
- Six semester credits in English Composition (ENG 111 or 121, and 112 or 122 or 123)
- The American Government requirement, which can be satisfied by either three semester credits of Political Science (PLS 221 or 222) or six semester credits of U.S. History (HST 221 and 222).
- The appropriate number of general education credits from the sciences and mathematics, social science, and humanities groups required for each associate degree.
- The appropriate number of semester credits required for each associate degree with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher. Courses numbered under 100 apply only toward the Associate in General Studies degree.
- At least 15-semester credits for graduation at Alpena Community College.
- All Alpena Community College course work with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
- The Application for Graduation form.
- A waiver of specific requirements does not reduce the total hours required for graduation.
Additional Associate's Degrees
Students may earn more than one associate's degree by satisfying the requirements for each degree, including completing a minimum of 15 additional credits at Alpena Community College for each degree. The 15 additional credits, which may not have been applied to another degree, must apply to the distribution requirements for an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree or be in the area of occupational specialty for an Associate in Applied Science degree. Additional degrees may be completed and earned concurrently. An Associate in General Studies may not be earned as an additional or concurrent degree.
Graduation with a Certificate
All candidates for graduation from Certificate of Achievement Programs must satisfactorily:
- Complete all courses listed in the curriculum for the specific occupational certificate program.
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
- Complete the Application for Graduation form
Alpena Community College recognizes high scholastic achievement at graduation. To be eligible for honors, a student must earn 30 hours of academic work - (no S/U coursework) at ACC. Honors are determined for academic work completed at ACC only. Designations are as follows:
- 3.9 or greater grade point average - summa cum laude
- 3.7-3.89 grade point average - magna cum laude
- 3.5-3.69 grade point average - cum laude
The following guidelines govern those situations in which graduation requirements are changed for the program a student enrolled in the college is pursuing.
Students enrolled in a program and degree at Alpena Community College will have the option of completing the degree as specified under the requirements in place at the time of the student's initial enrollment in the program or the requirements in place at the time of graduation if the student has been continuously enrolled in the program.
Continuous enrollment is defined as enrollment in at least one course during the fall and spring semesters from the initial time of enrollment in the program until the time of graduation. Students who do not satisfy this definition of continuous enrollment must meet the program requirement in effect at the time of graduation.
Age of Course Work
In addition, a student in an associate in an applied science degree program may not apply any course work (either transferred or completed at ACC) older than seven years toward the occupational specialty areas designated for the particular degree program. Exceptions can be granted by departmental recommendations based on proficiency standards. This policy applies only to the AAS degree and has no bearing on any other degrees offered by Alpena Community College.
Policy on Program Revisions Changing Graduation Requirements
Alpena Community College continually revises courses, programs, and graduation requirements in order to provide students with quality educational experiences. Courses are updated to reflect new technology, new courses are added to programs to strengthen students' technical skills, and general education requirements are adjusted in order to more effectively meet students' needs.