fb icon myAcc icon

Financial Aid at ACC

A Message Regarding Student Loan Repayment:

The student loan repayment pause is ending. Interest on Federal Student Loans resumes on September 1, 2023, and the first payments are due in October.

Over the next couple of months, you will receive important documents such as billing statement(s) from your loan servicer(s). Make sure your contact information is up to date on https://studentaid.gov and with your loan servicer(s), so you do not miss important communications. If you do not know who your loan servicer is or need their contact information, you can use the studentaid.gov link to sign into your account or call 1-800-433-3243.

We understand life may have changed since the last time you made a student loan payment, or this may be your very first time making a payment. Your loan servicer and Federal Student Aid are willing to provide support and resources as you prepare for payments to resume so that you can identify the needs of your unique financial situation. Please visit https://studentaid.gov/restart to look at all the resources available to support borrowers.

Now is a great time to make sure you’re on the best payment plan for you. A new income-driven student loan repayment plan that ensures borrowers only pay what they can afford is now available. You can find out more about this plan by going to https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/save-plan.

Please be aware of scams that offer to help you for a fee. You never have to pay for help with your federal student aid. Most emails you will receive are from noreply@studentaid.gov, noreply@debtrelief.studentaid.gov, or ed.gov@public.govdelivery.com. To report scam attempts, contact the Federal Trade Commission by calling 1-877-382-4357 or by visiting reportfraud.ftc.gov.


Amanda Belusar
Financial Aid Director
Alpena Community College

Financial Aid at ACC

Grad Ready Banner Ad

Financial Aid Office
Van Lare Hall 107
665 Johnson Street
Alpena, MI 49707
Phone: 989.358.7286
Fax: 989.358.7541
Email: accfinaid@alpenacc.edu

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Closed for major holidays - see the ACC Academic Calendar for more details.

Terms to KnowCost of Attendance (CoA)- This is the estimated cost including tuition, fees, books, transportation, living allowances, etcetera that it may cost you for a full year of college.  It is not necessarily how much you will end up paying.

Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) - This number is calculated by a federal formula on the FAFSA that factors in your family's income, number of students in the family attending college, and other information.  It is not necessarily how much you will end up paying.

Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) - This law says that the College may not discuss your academic records and/or financial information with anyone including parents, spouse, guardian, etcetera, without your authorization. You can complete authorization paperwork in the Registrar’s Office in Van Lare Hall.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) - This is the first step in applying for federal aid such as Pell Grants and student loans.  The form helps calculate your EFC and CoA.  You must file every year that you attend school.

Federal Student Aid Identification (FSA ID) - This is a personal identifier you use to securely electronically sign the FAFSA so that you do not need to mail in an actual signature.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) - This policy states that students must continue making reasonable progress toward their programs to continue receiving financial aid.  For example, if you are withdrawing or failing classes, your SAP may be in jeopardy and you may lose your aid. Please see this policy under Financial Aid Policies. The policy is also enclosed within the offer notice sent to our students.

Subsidized - This means that the federal government or another body pays the interest on your loan while you are enrolled in college half-time or more.

Unsubsidized - This means that interest will be accruing on your loan, even while you are enrolled in college.

Student Aid Report (SAR) - This report is available after you file your FAFSA.  It's a summary of all the information the government uses to estimate your eligibility for Financial Aid and it will tell you what your EFC is.

Tuition and fees - An amount normally assessed to a student carrying the same academic workload, as determined by the institution.

Books, course materials, supplies, and equipment - An allowance for books, course materials, and equipment, which must include all such costs required of all students in the same course of study, as determined by the institution.

Transportation - An allowance, as determined by the institution, which may include transportation between campus, residences, and place of work (such as Federal work-study off campus).

Miscellaneous personal expenses - An allowance, as determined by the institution, for a student attending the institution on at least a half-time basis (six or more credits).

Living expenses - An allowance for food and housing costs, as determined by the institution, to be incurred by the student attending the institution on at least a half-time basis (six credits or more), including:

  • A standard food allowance that provides the equivalent of three meals each day for dependent and independent students residing on or off campus without a meal plan. ACC does not offer a meal plan for students.

What is Financial Aid?
Any type of financial assistance that students use to fund higher education. Financial Aid usually comes in the form of grants, loans, scholarships, sponsorships, and/or work-study.

  • Grants are monies that are offered and do not have to be paid back as long as the recipient adheres to the terms of the grant.
  • Loans are monies that are borrowed during the time the recipient is enrolled in college and they do have to be paid back.
  • Scholarships are monies that are offered to specific students or for specific achievements.  These largely do not have to be paid back as long as the recipient adheres to the terms of the scholarship.
  • Sponsorships are outside bodies that pay certain college expenses for the recipient.  For example, if a student's employer agreed to pay his/her tuition, this would be a sponsorship.  These do not have to be paid back as long as the recipient adheres to the terms of the sponsorship.
  • Work-study is a program where eligible students actually apply for a job, get hired, and work a set number of hours a week at a set wage for the college to earn money for their education & personal expenses.

What makes me eligible for financial aid? Once the eligibility requirements are met, student financial aid is offered on the basis of financial need and/or academic merit and various qualifying criteria as outlined by each scholarship committee or guidelines. Financial aid is issued in the form of grants, scholarships, loans, and work-study.

The aid you qualify for can depend on your Expected Family Contribution, or EFC. The EFC is a number used to determine how much federal aid you would receive to attend school. When you apply for federal student aid, you will be asked to provide information about your or your family’s finances, such as income, assets, and family size. After you submit the application, you will receive an EFC based on this information.

Financial aid is offered non-discriminately without regard to age, color, disability, handicap, height, marital status, national origin, citizenship, political affiliation, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, veteran's status, or weight.

The U.S. Department of Education is your first source to access financial aid. They award about $150 billion a year in grants, work-study assistance, and low-interest loans. Aid also comes from scholarships from state governments, schools, employers, individuals, private companies, non-profits, and professional organizations.

How is my financial aid determined?
Complete and accurate financial aid applications (FAFSA) will be reviewed for funding through all Federal, State, and Institutional programs offering gift-aid first (scholarships and grants) with self-help (loans and work-study) second. Depending on availability, every effort will be made to offer sufficient funds to cover direct educational expenses (tuition, fees, books, and required supplies). 

What can aid cover? There are basic costs associated with going to college; financial aid may be used for the basic costs of: Tuition and fees, books, course materials, supplies, equipment, transportation, miscellaneous personal expenses, and living expenses. Some expenses may need documentation to be submitted to the Financial Aid Office. Students enrolled less than half-time or incarcerated will have fewer cost components to calculate the cost of attendance (COA).

Federal, State, and Other Aid

ACC participates in the following Federal and State aid programs:

Federal Pell Grant
Children of Fallen Heroes (CFH)
Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG)
Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
Federal Work Study (FWKST)
Direct Stafford Loans
Direct PLUS Loans for Parents (PLUS)
Veterans Educational Benefits (VA)
Michigan Tuition Incentive Program (TIP)
Michigan Competitive Scholarship (MCS)
Michigan Children of Veterans Tuition Grant (CVTG)
Michigan Fostering Futures Scholarship (FFS)
Michigan Police Officer’s and Fire Fighter’s Survivors Tuition Program (STG)
Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver
Michigan Futures for Frontliners
Michigan Reconnect
Michigan Achievement Scholarship
Michigan Rehabilitation Services
Michigan Works!

Visit Student Aid on the Web for free information from the U.S. Department of Education about federal student aid.

Visit Financial Aid Programs Administered by the State of Michigan for more information about Michigan financial aid.

Visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for more information about Veteran’s educational benefits.

Federal Pell Grant A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid as long as the recipient adheres to the terms of the grant. Pell Grants are offered usually only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. Pell Grants are considered a foundation of federal financial aid, to which aid from other federal and non-federal sources might be added. Amount of the Pell Grant final offer will vary based on the student’s enrollment. The student will need to complete the FAFSA annually to see if the student is eligible for the Federal Pell Grant.

NOTE : Starting July 1, 2012, Pell Grants are limited to the equivalent of 12 full-time semesters; equivalent of 600%. If you have received 600% or over 12 semesters of (full-time equivalent) Pell Grant during your educational endeavors, you will no longer be eligible for these funds. To determine the amount of lifetime Pell you have received, visit https://studentaid.gov.

Children of Fallen Heroes (CFH)Children of Fallen Heroes is a Scholarship for Pell-eligible students whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer. The student is eligible to receive the maximum Pell Grant of their enrollment status and cost of attendance.

To qualify, a student must have a Pell-eligible estimated family contribution (EFC) and be less than 24 years old or enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of their parent or guardian’s death. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for the necessary information and paperwork needed to determine eligibility.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG)Iraq and Afghanistan is a Federal Grant for students whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of performing military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11. The student must be ineligible for Federal Pell Grant due to having an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) too high to receive Federal Pell Grant Funds. The student must have been younger than 24 years old or enrolled at least part-time at a college or career school at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death. Just like Pell Grants, IASGs don't have to be paid back as long as the recipient adheres to the terms of the grant. The amount of the offer varies and has a limited amount of time you can use the grant. For more information go to the Federal Student Aid Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant page.

Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs) are for undergraduates with exceptional financial need as determined by the FAFSA. Pell Grant recipients with the lowest EFCs will receive this offer first. Just like Pell Grants, FSEOGs does not have to be paid back as long as the recipient adheres to the terms of the grant. ACC offers FSEOGs based on the priority offer date of March 1. The amount of the offer varies.

Federal Work Study (FWKST)Federal Work-Study provides part-time jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The amount given does not reflect against the amount you owe for Tuition, Fees, Books or Supplies.

Eligibility under these programs requires you to demonstrate financial need as determined by the FAFSA, to maintain satisfactory academic progress, and to meet the ACC student employee criteria:

  • A part-time employee who is enrolled and regularly attending classes at ACC as a degree-or certificate-seeking student.
  • Your primary purpose for being at ACC is to further your education.
  • Student employment is temporary and incidental to the pursuit of an education.
  • Student employees usually work 15 hours per week or less.
  • You must be enrolled during the semester you are working, an exception is made during summer if the student is pre-enrolled for the next semester.

Many areas of the college hire student employees including Facilities, Bookstore, Library, TRIO, Faculty, and Human Resources. Student employees are chosen based on qualifications, position requirements, and work availability. Jobs are usually posted a couple of weeks after classes begin on the job board right outside the Financial Aid Office in Van Lare Hall. If you do not know if you qualify for Federal Work Study or have questions regarding work-study, inquire within the Financial Aid Office. An orientation is required and all employment documentation must be completed to be eligible to work on campus.

Direct Stafford Loans
Direct Plus Loans for Parents
Veterans Educational Benefits

Michigan Tuition Incentive Program (TIP) The Tuition Incentive Program encourages eligible students to complete high school by providing tuition assistance for identified students who graduate from high school or complete their GED before age 20.

Students must be enrolled in courses leading to an associate degree or certificate at a participating Michigan institution. The list of participating institutions may be found on the last page of the TIP Fact Sheet. Certificate courses are defined as “at least a one-year training program that leads to a certificate (or other recognized educational credential), which prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation.”

Students must meet a Medicaid eligibility history requirement. Eligible students must apply prior to high school graduation (high school diploma or its recognized equivalent). The program requires students to also complete the FAFSA each academic year.

Additional information and eligibility requirements are on the TIP Fact Sheet.

Michigan Competitive Scholarship (MCS)MCS is offered to students showing promise of satisfactory completion of postsecondary study.

MCS program is available to undergraduate students pursuing their first degrees at an approved Michigan postsecondary institution. Students must demonstrate both financial need and merit. Eligible applicants must achieve a qualifying SAT score (Class of 2017 and beyond) or ACT score (Class of 2016 or prior) prior to entering college.

Additional information and eligibility requirements are on the MCS Fact Sheet.

Students may use Competitive Scholarship funds at degree-granting Michigan public and independent postsecondary institutions. Offers are restricted to the cost of tuition and fees.

Michigan Children of Veterans Tuition Grant (CVTG)CVTG was established under Public Act 248 to provide an undergraduate tuition program for children of certain deceased or disabled members of the armed forces of the United States.

The program is designed to provide undergraduate tuition assistance to certain children older than 16 and less than 26 years of age who have been Michigan residents for the 12 months prior to application. To be eligible, a student must be the natural or adopted child of a Michigan veteran. Stepchildren of the veteran are not eligible. The veteran must have been a legal resident of Michigan immediately before entering military service and must not have later resided outside of Michigan for more than two years; or the veteran must have established legal residency in Michigan after entering military service.

Students may receive scholarship assistance for up to four academic years for a total of up to $11,200. Offers are for an academic year with the amount determined by the student’s enrollment status. Full-time students can receive up to a maximum of $2,800 per academic year.

Additional information and eligibility requirements are on the CVTG Fact Sheet.

Michigan Fostering Futures Scholarship (FFS)The Fostering Futures Scholarship, a State of Michigan* program, provides scholarships to young adults who have experienced foster care. The State of Michigan works with individuals, community organizations, and businesses to encourage charitable contributions that go towards Fostering Futures Scholarship funds. Offers are paid directly to the students’ institution to assist with unmet need in one or more of the following categories:

  • Tuition/Fees
  • Books/Supplies
  • Room/Board

*State of Michigan departments that are involved are the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and the Michigan Department of Treasury-Student Scholarships and Grants (SSG) and Michigan Education Trust (MET).

For any additional information regarding Foster Youth Programs, please see the Foster Youth webpage or call Amanda Belusar at 989.358.7229.

Fostering Futures Scholarship (FFS) Fact Sheet

Michigan Gear UP (MI Gear UP)Michigan Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP) is a program designed to provide early intervention services and programs to students in middle school and high school. MI GEAR UP targets low-income students by providing them with support services to increase their opportunities to succeed in postsecondary education.

Coordinators of MI GEAR UP nominate eligible students before completing high school. Current and future offers are subject to available and approved funding.

Additional information and eligibility requirements are on the MI GEAR UP Fact Sheet.

Michigan Police Officer’s and Fire Fighter’s Survivors Tuition Program (STG)STG is for children and surviving spouses of Michigan police officers and firefighters killed in the line of duty.

Students must be the spouse or the natural or adopted child of a deceased officer or firefighter. Children must be under the age of 21 at the time of the death; and must also apply for the first time before the age of 21.

This program was previously administered by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) and was moved to the Department of Treasury, Student Scholarships and Grants Division in 2010.

Additional information and eligibility requirements are on the STG Fact Sheet.

Michigan INDIAN Tuition WaiverMichigan residents who are North American Indian and are certified one-quarter blood quantum by their tribal association may be eligible for tuition assistance funding. A Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver Application must be completed. Students should contact their tribal enrollment office, or can go to Michigan Department of Civil Rights (MDCR) to get an application.

Michigan Futures for Frontliners (MF4F)Futures for Frontliners (F4F) is a State of Michigan scholarship program for frontline workers; Michiganders who worked in essential industries during the state COVID-19 shutdown in spring 2020. F4F provides a pathway for tuition-free access to public community colleges to earn an associate degree or an industry recognized certificate for frontline workers without a college degree. F4F is operated through the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity (LEO). For specific program criteria visit www.michigan.gov/frontliners.

Michigan Reconnect (MRCON)Michigan Reconnect is a scholarship program that pays for students 25 and older to attend their in-district community college and offers a large tuition discount if students attend an out-of-district community college. Students can use the scholarship to complete an associate degree or a skill certificate program. Reconnect is operated through the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity (LEO). For specific program criteria visit www.michigan.gov/reconnect.

Michigan Achievement Scholarship (MAS)Michigan Achievement Scholarship is a scholarship program for students who graduate from high school in Michigan with a diploma, certificate of completion, or high school equivalency in 2023 or beyond. The students must also have an estimated family contribution (EFC) of $25,000 or less to be eligible. Qualified students may be awarded in two different awards and may equal up to $2,750; first dollar and last dollar. The first dollar award is up to $1,750 in the academic year and the last dollar amount is up to $1,000 in the academic year for Michigan Community Colleges when applicable; awards will be adjusted according to the regulations.

Additional information and eligibility requirements are on the MAS Fact Sheet.

Other Aid

Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS)If you are a customer of MRS, please contact your MRS counselor for more information.

Michigan Works!Michigan Works! offers career guidance and basic skill development for adult learners.

Funds may be available for students in vocational programs who are economically disadvantaged, long-term unemployed or dislocated workers. Eligible students could receive funding for some of their tuition, fees, books, supplies and mileage depending on funding available at your regional Michigan Works! Office. For more information, students should contact their regional Michigan Works! office.

Aid By StateSee what assistance you qualify for in your state by going to the NASFAA Aid by State website.