ACC Supports the Michigan Reconnect Program!
Alpena Community College actively participates in the Michigan Reconnect Program for college students! As part of ACC's mandatory orientation process, new students learn about how the Reconnect Program works and who is eligible to receive financial benefits. ACC will continue to hold registration and orientation sessions throughout the summer and will have staff on hand to help students fill out the Michigan Reconnect Application to apply for Reconnect benefits.
Above: ACC Director of Admissions Mike Kollien (left) and Michigan Reconnect Navigator Marsha Tompkins (right) talk to ACC students about the benefits of the Michigan Reconnect Program at a new student orientation session on July 12, 2023.
Michigan Reconnect Program
The Michigan Reconnect program pays the remaining balance of in-district tuition and mandatory fees after other state and federal financial aid have been applied. Students who attend out-of-district community colleges will receive a large tuition discount. It’s designed specifically for eligible adults who want to start – or finish – an associate degree or skills certificate.
Three Easy Steps
Who Should I Contact?Admissions Office
- For more information on applying to ACC, contact ACC Admissions Director Mike Kollien at email@example.com or call 989.358.7339.
- For more information about the scholarship portion of this program, please contact the ACC Financial Aid Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 989.358.7286.
What if I Need Help?
- If you are having difficulties on your mobile device, try a different browser or computer.
- If students have a question about applying or are having trouble submitting the application, call the Customer Care Center at 888.447.2687, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Do I Qualify?
To be eligible, you must:
- Be at least 21 years old when you apply
- Have lived in Michigan for a year or more
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Have not yet completed a college degree (associate or bachelor’s)
If you do not have a high school diploma or equivalent, visit Michigan.gov/LearnMoreEarnMore to get started.
Top Five things to know about Michigan Reconnect
What is the Michigan Reconnect Program?
- Michigan Reconnect is a last-dollar scholarship program for students age 21 or older to attend community college tuition-free. Students living outside of Alpena County will have to pay the difference between in-district tuition and out-of-district tuition. Michigan Reconnect pays the remaining balance of tuition and mandatory fees after other state and federal financial aid has been applied.
Who is eligible?
- Applicants must be 21 years or older, be a Michigan resident for at least 1 year, have a high school diploma or equivalent, and have not yet earned an associate or bachelor's degree.
How do Applicants apply?
- Applicants can apply online at Michigan.gov/reconnect. The application will take less than 10 minutes to complete and applicants will receive a notification their application has been submitted. Applicants 21-24 years old will not be awarded Reconnect for 2023 Fall or 2024 Spring until a roster from the State of Michigan is available sometime in mid-February 2024. Applicants 21-24 years old have a deadline to apply and must be awarded the Reconnect Scholarship by November 15, 2024. Applicants 25 years and older will have no deadline to apply.
When can a person accepted to the Reconnect program start classes?
- Applicants can start using their benefits the semester after they turn 21. Benefits will be calculated when the student is listed on the available roster to receive Reconnect.
Where can I learn more?
What if I've already completed a Certificate program?
Even if you completed a certificate program in the past, as long as you meet all of the eligibility requirements and haven’t completed your certificate yet, you are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
What if I'm already enrolled in an Associate Degree program?
Even if you are currently enrolled in an associate degree program, as long as you meet all of the eligibility requirements and haven’t completed your associate degree yet, you are eligible to apply for this scholarship.