Michigan Residential Builders Online Course
A Residential Builders Course is available online through Alpena Community College. This 60-hour online course prepares builders to take the State of Michigan Licensed Builders Examination.
The online course includes the following topics:
- Michigan Residential Code
- Business Management
- Estimating and Cost Accounting
- Marketing and Sales
- Project Management and Scheduling
- Contracts, Liability, and Risk Management
- Design and Build Science
- Occupational Codes
- and MIOSHA Safety Standards
Pre-Licensing Online Course for Residential BuildersOffered through Alpena Community College, this 60-hour online course prepares builders to take the State of Michigan Licensed Builders Examination.
Course Fee: $575.00 (Payable to Alpena Community College by check or credit card)
Textbook: Michigan Residential Code
Instructor: Bruce Frost, Central Michigan University and Alpena Community College
- Certified Instructor for the National Association of Home Builders for 30 of 35 national courses
- Certified State of Michigan Instructor-Life Time Approval teaching PA 54 programs for Code Officials, Building Inspectors, and Plan Reviewers
- Over 20 years teaching for the State of Michigan Pre-Licensing Programs
- 27 years as a full-time university faculty member
- 25+ years teaching builders, building code officials, architects, and engineers
- National Educator of the Year for all 4-year universities in Construction Management-NAHB
- PC or Mac with up-to-date web browser
- Internet Connection: Broadband preferred
- Some computer experience
Modules include: Michigan Residential Code; Business Management, Estimating and Cost Accounting; Marketing and Sales; Project Management and Scheduling Contracts, Liability and Risk Management; Design and Build Science; Occupational Codes; MIOSHA Safety Standards. Students have continual oversight from the instructor and technical support from ACC staff.
After establishing a start date, students will have 30 days to complete the course.
Following successful completion of the course, students will receive a signed certificate allowing them to take
the State of Michigan Licensed Builders Examination.
Applications can be downloaded below and forwarded to Lisa Blumenthal at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register for the Online Course
Contact ACC's Workforce Development program for more information: